DURBAN Solid Waste (DSW) staff are back at work today following a strike over the past two days.
Ward 33 councillor, Mmabatho Tembe said she had received information from the DSW area manager that staff had resumed operations and the backlog of rubbish pick-ups will continue up until Sunday.
“Rubbish pick-up will start today, however I am not sure in which areas they will start and end,” she said, urging residents to inform her if their rubbish was not collected by Monday.
READ RELATED: Striking workers demand full-time employment
Around 800 Expanded Public Works Programme workers attached to DSW downed tools on Wednesday, trashing the Durban CBD while protesting. The workers were requesting permanent employment at the municipality.
Workers said they had been promised permanent jobs however their contracts had instead been shortened. This is the second strike this year.
Contact Councillor Mmabatho if rubbish is not collected by Monday at [email protected]
Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 060 532 5535.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have signed up for our news alerts you need to save the Berea Mail WhatsApp number as a contact to your phone, otherwise you will not receive our alerts