GLENWOOD residents have been urged to keep their garbage bags inside today as the Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) workers strike continues.
Around 800 EPWP workers attached to Durban Solid Waste (DSW) trashed the Durban CBD while protesting yesterday (Wednesday, 10 October), requesting permanent employment at the municipality. The workers locked some gates to depots, locking DSW trucks in.
There are currently 1 200 EPWP workers in various departments contracted on a temporary basis.
DSW head Raymond Rampersad, said 172 workers had been taken on by the unit in June this year but preference had been given to those who had first started with the project in 2014.
The workers said they had been promised permanent jobs however their contracts had instead been shortened. They said they would continue to strike until the municipality met their demands. This is the second strike this year.
Ward 33 councillor, Mmabatho Tembe reported that DSW teams attempted to pick up rubbish but were stopped by workers.
“There is still no change today, the strike is ongoing and the trucks are still locked in the depots. I urge residents not to take rubbish out until the strike is officially over,” she said.
Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 060 532 5535.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have signed up for our news alerts you need to save the Berea Mail WhatsApp number as a contact to your phone, otherwise you will not receive our alerts