South African motor vehicle owners and consumers have been struggling with constant fuel increments. Both short and long distance drivers have experienced a knock on their disposable income. This has resulted in reduction of expenditure on other essential needs like home groceries. In the midst of this ongoing budget constraint, motorists can try to reduce their fuel expenses by implementing simple measures. This is how you can achieve this.
1. Timing is everything when it comes to purchasing fuel for your vehicle. You will do well to fill up your tank when it is cold outside, either early morning or late at night. Fuel becomes denser in cooler temperatures. You will get better overall fuel mileage for your money since fuel pumps only measure the volume of fuel, not the density.
2. You must make sure your tyres are in good condition. The general condition of your vehicle tyres can lead to an increase in fuel consumption. When tyres are worn out, their grip or traction is lost so the tyre spins faster so as to move. This takes a toll on your fuel consumption.
3. Make sure that your battery and cables are checked regularly as matter of routine. This is because corroded battery cables causes the alternator to work harder, using more gas.
4. Mechanical research shows that driving techniques can influence fuel efficiency by about 30%. By driving smoothly, avoiding rapid accelerations and avoiding heavy braking, you can reduce fuel consumption as well as wear and tear.
5. You need to pay particular attention to the quality of engine oil you use. If you use the wrong oil or inferior oil, the engine pistons and other moving parts move less freely. This adds a load onto the engine and hence a greater demand for fuel energy.
6. For drivers who are using highways, cruise control is something you need to resort to. Cruise control means that your car will be going at a constant velocity, which means there is no acceleration. No acceleration reduces the amount of work your engine does, and therefore it uses less gas.
7. Carefully plan your trips to save on fuel. Several short trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much fuel as a longer multipurpose trip covering the same distance when the engine is warm. Trip planning ensures that travelling is done when the engine is warmed-up and efficient.
The tips provided above if well implemented will assist you to be much more fuel efficient.