No answers on power outages

ETHEKWINI Municipality still doesn’t have a concrete answer as to what caused the recent power outages which plagued residents living in Glenwood, Umbilo and Musgrave.

According to Mmabatho Tembe, ward 33 councillor, following outages in the Glenwood area for the whole of last week, she emailed the Electricity Department to set up a meeting to discuss the outages, especially in this area and ward 31 (Musgrave, Overport).

“It was requested that I send reference numbers of different outages in the area to the department and I urged residents to send me reference numbers as well, although the majority of residents didn’t respond. I want an investigation done into these outages,” she said.

Tembe said by Tuesday this week she still hadn’t received any feedback.

“I have emailed the Department again to find out what is being done to look into this, however I am still waiting for a response,” she said.

In response to queries by Berea Mail as to what has caused the outages, the eThekwini Municipality couldn’t actually give a reason.

They responded: “As a caring City, eThekwini Municipality has a dedicated team of staff members who strive to provide superior service to all City residents. Service delivery remains our key priority. The matter was referred to the relevant Unit for investigation.”

The municipality encouraged residents to report power outages to the Electricity Department’s call centre on 080 13 13 111, SMS: 083 700 0819 or email: custocare@elec.durban.gov.za.

 

Do you want to receive news alerts via WhatsApp? Send us a WhatsApp message (not an sms) with your name and surname to 060 532 5535.

You can also join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Latest from Berea Mail